Internship Period: 12-week internships.
Location: Washington D.C.,USA
The National Geographic Society is currently rolling out summer Internship opportunities to international students to be part of the National Geographic Internship program. This internship program will equip selected qualified individuals with the much needed professional skills and learning experience.Similarly, over 800 university and college juniors, seniors, and master’s students majoring in geography or cartography over the previous 30 years have participated in this internship program by working on various projects aimed at the increase and diffusion of geographic knowledge.
The program will afford successful students the unique opportunity to apply key knowledge based on important techniques learned in the classroom to practical publication procedures or other geographic outreach projects at the National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D.C. In a given year, the Society offers a limited number of 12-week internships.
The eligibility criteria are as shown below:
- Only GIS, cartography or Geographic majors in good academic are eligible to apply
- Only U.S. residents are eligible for this internship program
- juniors, senior, or masters students at the time of application (you may be graduated by the time you actually start work)
Value of Internship
The geography internship program has the following rewards::
- Accepted scholars will receive real-world work experience in one of the many National Geographic Society divisions
- Scholars will work closely with one or more professionals during the period.
- Scholars will experiencie National Geographic events, performances, and exhibits
- Scholars will meet National Geographic explorers, fellows, and photographers
- Scholars will participate in career-oriented professional development offered on campus
- Scholars will learn and work with other geography majors
- Scholars will contribute to world-class programs, projects, and publications
How to apply
Please note that the method of application is online
Please submit the following application materials aling with the following materials:.
*A cover letter (200 words or less, please address to “To Whom it May Concern”);
- A completed résumé that covers each of the following: your extracurricular activities, awards and recognitions; employment history; a list of specific skills such as software or language proficiencies; and other relevant information such as special interests, hobbies, and travel.
- A short essay ( of about 500 words or less) that details experiences that led to your formal training in geography, stating your professional goals, and explaining why you decided to participate in the National Geographic Geography Intern Program;
- Up-to-date unofficial college transcripts.
For more info, please visit here