Writing a good scholarship essay is an important part in your admissions’ application process. After applying to the institution of your choice, it is the next big leap to take and if executed Properly it could provide you with the opportunity to earn a scholarship. The delivery and overall strength of the essay along with grades and extracurricular activities can help students in winning a scholarship.
Winning a scholarship should not be over looked but taken as part of an admissions’ application because though it entitles student with benefits of some amount of financial aid adds to students’ resume later in life as part of one’s achievement and merits recognition.
Much later in life, if a scholarships’ winner applies for a job and includes this information that one wrote and won the scholarship of his admissions’ session it gives credibility and boost to the applicant’s CV.These are just basic reasons to take time to write a carefully thought and written essay.
Steps in writing the essay
- ADHERE TO INSTRUCTIONS – READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY IF PROVIDED BEFORE YOU START
The first step in writing a very good essay is to read the instructions provided so you don’t write an essay with an already constructed tone that leads the essay a different path from the way it ought to have been written. Adhering to key instructions and guidelines tells the scholarship review committee you’re on track and displays your inner qualities to them. Ensure to write down past achievements and strong points in your academic history down.This will be needed as a reference as you develop your essay.
- PROVE TO THE REVIEW COMMITTEE YOU DESERVE THE SCHOLARSHIP – WRITE DOWN YOUR PPREVIOUS ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS
Write down your strong points, achievements and experiences as a guide line, your objectives should also be included in the essay content. Develop a personality trait for yourself while writing this aspect.
* Ensure to place emphasis on school and community involvement
* Extracurricular activities, academic career and goal
* Skills and special talents you have, projects and research in your area of study that excites you that you dream to embark upon
* Previous awards, achievements and roles played in your academic history
* How your life and academic experiences motivates you to create solutions – use this as a reason for motivation – let the readerunderstand this drive and enthusiasm fills you with passion in order to continue your education and make an impact on the human society.
- START WITH STRONG AND POSITIVE TONE OUTLINING YOUR GOALS AND ASPIRATIONS.
Make sure you use an energetic and positive tone in the delivery of your essay letter.
Example: My previous experiences, research and project work have impacted the community i grow up in.This has helpedme with extra motivation to pursue my education daily much more seriously.
Ensure your points are clear and begin each paragraph with a clarity and strong points.
Example: I partook in the boy scout and volunteer team, the experiences i learnt off-classroom helps me in my career choice.
Another Example: I have learnt to work with people providing leadership and training to develop stronger leader skills as i meet different kind of people daily. Be sure to drive the point across.
- DO NOT BE OVER CONFIDENT
Care must be taken so your essay doesn’t reduce to a literarypiece, while listing your qualities ensure not to over exaggerate.
- PROOF READ YOUR ESSAY
Read your essay aloud to yourself over and over again and have someone else read it to ensure your thoughts are well articulated and conveyed.
- CHOICE OF WORDS
Ensure your essay has an overall optimistic tone. Use phrases and words like ” during my development “, ” my leadership skills “,
” adequately prepared “, ” future ”,”passion”,”background”,”prepared candidate” .
My final advice to you is to ensure you fill the essay with good thoughts and expressions about yourself and show who you are.