The Queens Young Leaders Awards Schemes is awarded to exceptional young people who have proved themselves to be inspiring leaders in their communities and have overcome challenges in their lives as to do so. This life changing opportunity is comprised of a tailored package of training and mentoring. Those who emerge as winners will also receive a one-week residential programme in the United Kingdom, during which they will receive their Award from Her Majesty The Queen. With this award, young leaders will be expected to continue and develop the wonderful work they are already doing in their communities.
In order to apply for this award, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must prove experience of working to improve their communities at the local, regional or national level and able to show evidence of their achievements.
- Applicant should be between the ages 18 and 29 throughout 2017. The applicants date of birth must fall between January 1st 1988 to January 1st 1999.
- Applicants must be citizens of and working in a Commonwealth country or citizens of an Overseas Territories (of a Commonwealth Member).
- They must demonstrate evidence of their leadership qualities.
- Qualified applicants need to be supported by a suitable referee i.e a professional in one of the following occupations; a teacher or counsellor; a registered physician or nurse; a church or community leader; social worker or family services; or business leader. Please note that referees must not be related to you in any way.
- During selection, priority will be given to individuals who have overcome challenges to achieve their goals.
Winners will be shortlisted by an advisory Panel which will be made up of young people from across the Commonwealth and a Board of advisors representing the three partners. The shortlist for Award winners will then be presented to The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme Board, which contains members from all three partner organisations, for final selection and decision.
What the award covers
Online learning – Selected candidates will be provided with materials relevant to their area of interest, as well as serving at a place where they will meet and share experiences and knowledge with other Queen’s Young Leaders.
Mentoring – As a Queen’s Young Leader you will be allocated a mentor with relevant experience and expertise that will support you over the course of the year to continue and develop your work.
One-week residential program in the United Kingdom – All winners of this prestigious award will have opportunity to meet with inspiring people and visit organisations in the UK that have expertise in areas such as media and communications, social action and advocacy. During this week, Awards will be presented by Her Majesty The Queen at Buckingham Palace.
How to apply
The mode of application is online. Before you start your online application, ensure that you have met all the requirements. Click here to apply online application.
Application must be received on or before 14th September 2016