The Rhodes Scholarship, named for the British mining magnate and South African politician Cecil John Rhodes, is an international postgraduate award for students to study at the University of Oxford. The Office of Research, Innovation and Development (ORID) is however, inviting eligible students from the West African region to apply for “THE RHODES SCHOLARSHIP.”
The Rhodes scholarship is administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom and is a postgraduate award that seeks to support exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford, United Kingdom. Scholars may pursue any full time postgraduate degree offered by the University of Oxford for a duration of two years with an option of a third year.
Eligible Countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo
To Be Taken At (Country): UK
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be between the ages of 19-25 (You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 26th birthday on 1 October 2018. This means candidates must have been born after 30 September 1992 and on or before 1October 1999)
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo.
- Have been resident in one or more of the countries listed above for at least five of the last ten years.
- Have completed an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with the highest classification your University awards, e.g. First Class or Upper Second Class Honors.
- Have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
- Energy to use one’s talent to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sport, music, debate,dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Full tuition, a maintenance stipend (covering accommodation, feeding, and incidentals) and one economy class airfare to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of tenure.
- Comprehensive Rhodes Character, Service & Leadership programme (retreats, workshops, conferences) which is designed to equip them on how to solve critical problems in any community they find themselves, as well as many discussions and social events at Rhodes House, Oxford.
Duration of Program:
How to Apply:
- Applications may be submitted online at the following link www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk via the scholarships tab.
- All applicants are entreated to read carefully the general information for candidates on Rhodes website, the Condition of Tenure for Rhodes scholarship. A detailed information is available at this link www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate .
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person. No candidate will be selected without an interview.
- Candidates who do not receive further communication by the end of November should assume application has been unsuccessful.
Award Providers: University of Oxford
Application Deadline: 14th October, 2017.