The Mastercard Foundation announces a six-year, USD$8.2 million (around €7.6 million) partnership with Sciences Po in Paris, France, to provide 120 bright, next-generation African leaders with a high-quality social sciences university education in one of Europe’s leading universities. The mission of The MasterCard Foundation is to advance education and financial inclusion to catalyze prosperity in developing countries.
Scholarships for the 2018/2019 academic year are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorised to nominate candidates.
Sciences Po is the first university in continental Europe to join the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program. Within this international network, 27 prestigious institutions in Africa, America and Europe are committed to ensuring that all young people, whatever their background, have the same opportunities to get a quality education and fulfil their potential.
Over six years (2017 – 2022), the Scholars Program will fund:
- 20 scholarships to complete the Sciences Po Bachelor of Arts programme, Africa specialisation
- 40 scholarships to complete a Master’s programme at one of our seven graduate schools
- 60 scholarships reserved for Mastercard Foundation Scholars studying at other partner universities and who would like to attend Sciences Po Summer School.
Type: Bachelors, Masters
Eligible Countries: Africans
To Be Taken At (Country): France
Eligibility: The scholarships are awarded to students from sub-Saharan African countries with an outstanding academic record and strong leadership potential, but who face financial and other barriers to higher education.
Number of Awards: 120 for a period of 5 years.
- Undergraduate: 5
- Graduate: 5
- Summer School: 12
Value of Award: Thee scholarships cover the full cost of tuition fees at Sciences Po and living costs in France during the study .
As well as funding their studies, Sciences Po will offer scholars a specific suite of resources to ensure they have appropriate academic support and to facilitate their transition from education to employment:
- An orientation programme and individualised academic advising throughout their studies at Sciences Po
- A mentor programme offered in collaboration with the Africa Division of Sciences Po Alumni
- Career guidance and support: an online job platform dedicated to professional opportunities in Africa (internships and first jobs), access to our business incubator and the network of employers and alumni working in Africa, and specific career workshops.
Duration of Program: The scholarships are awarded for a period of three years for the Bachelor’s degree, two years for the Master’s degree and one month for the Summer School.
Award Providers: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Undergraduate: 15th February 2018 (midnight)
- Graduate: 1st February 2018 (midnight)