PASET was established for the purpose to create a highly skilled labor force to propel sub-Saharan-Africa’s socioeconomic transformation. The Call for PhD Applications for the 2017/2018 RSIF cohort is now open. Being a scholar of the Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is a bridge to becoming a part of an exciting new community of highly skilled African scientists and innovators in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (ASET) fields.
RSIF aims to provide the ecosystem necessary to nurture its scholars during their PhD program and continue to create the support system for them after graduation.
Eligibility: Students will be selected based on several criteria including ones set by the host institution and also by PASET. Below are the eligibility requirements for the current Call for Applications.
- Applicants must be citizens of a sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants must have applied to at least one of RSIF’s African Host Universities in at least one of the thematic areas. For the 2017/2018 cohort, the 3 eligible thematic areas are:
* Information Communications Technology (ICT)
* Food security
* Mining, materials and minerals engineering.
- Applicants must hold a Master’s degree in a relevant field of study.
Applicants must be willing to enroll full-time in the PhD program. Students may take on teaching/research assistantship related to their discipline of study on the campus where they are pursuing their PhD program.
Priority will be given to applicants who:
- Are junior African faculty/academic staff with 1-5 years of teaching/research experience but no PhD
- Have a compelling life history and academic trajectory
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing an academic career beyond the scholarship period
- Demonstrate leadership potential, such as community service in areas related to PASET RSIF fields of study
- Are women or ethnic minorities; have physical disabilities
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Program: competitive stipend for living expense as well as funds to cover part of your tuition cost and research
Duration of Program: The first RSIF PhD Cohort begins in Oct 2017
How to Apply: It is important to go through the Application requirement in the Program Webpage before applying. You will also have the opportunity to travel abroad for parts of your studies and work with global researchers as part of “sandwich program” partnerships with premier international institutions.
Application Deadline: 24th July 2017
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at (country): Sub-Saharan Africa
Award Provider: Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF)