The MO Ibrahim Foundation is offering Masters and PhD scholarships to Africans to wish to study in the School Of Africa Studies (SOAS). To be considered for this scholarship, applicant must first and foremost apply to study ‘Governance for Development in Africa’ and get an unconditional offer at School of Africa Studies (SOAS).
To be eligible, applicant must be citizen of an African country especially a sub-Saharan country. Selection will be based on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
Fields of study
The eligible PhD and MSc/MA are only those within the following departments (note that any MSc in each department is applicable):
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- MA African Studies
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
What the scholarship covers
For masters applicants;
- The scholarship provides for fees, visa costs, one return flight, accommodation at SOAS’ students hall and £8000 living cost for the year.
For PhD applicants;
- The scholarship is on a part‐present form and it provides for fees for three years. However, accommodation and living cost are covered for the first year only. The scholarship will also cover in total 2 return flights: one during the first year, and one for the viva (plus one week’s accommodation around the viva). In year 2 and year 3, the successful candidate will also receive an annual stipend of £5,000. The Foundation also covers visa cost, provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office. Students are expected to be on fieldwork during the second year, and to write the thesis in the third year in their country of origin.
Method of application
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD or the MSc/MA (as applicable) by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School or the SOAS admissions office respectively.
Once the place is secured, the applicants can apply for the scholarship. Please provide the requested documents (i.e. complete application form, copy of unconditional offer of admission from SOAS, CV, statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues, and research proposal) by email to email@example.com. Click here to contact the scholarship provider for more information on how to apply.
The deadline to apply for both the PhD and Masters Scholarships is 30 April 2017