Annually, the Beit Trust postgraduate Masters & PhD scholarship are awarded to students from Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe to study in UK, Ireland or South Africa on a full scholarship.
Accepted Courses: All courses available in partner universities are eligible.
The Beit Trust will offer annually a number of Postgraduate Masters or PhD Scholarships abroad for international studies or research to graduates who are domiciled in Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe (the beneficial area). Scholarships will be available for studies at a university in the United Kingdom, Ireland or South Africa, to study a subject of the individual’s choice appropriate to the needs of the beneficial area.
In addition, shared awards for a taught Masters Degree are offered at the University of Cambridge (BC); University of Cape Town (BCT); Imperial College London (BI), the University of Leeds (BL); Rhodes University (BRU); Stellenbosch University (BS) and the University of Witwatersrand (BW).
Scholarship Type: Masters and PhD degrees
- You are eligible to apply if you are not t medical or veterinary doctor under 30 years of age on 31 December of the year of application.
- Applicants are encouraged to have some experience of work after completion of a first degree.
- Doctors and vets should be under 35 years of age on 31 December and should have completed 18 months of internship and preferably a one-year rural posting in the relevant country.
- hold at least a degree of class 2.1, i.e. Merit or Distinction
Number of Scholarship awarded: Not known
- The total cost of Fees and tuition plus other related academic expenses are paid by the Trust direct to the universities.
- Scholars will receive a personal allowance, index linked in accordance with guidance from an independent authority covering maintenance support.
- Other allowances will be paid on arrival, a laptop and printing of a thesis, and return to Africa.
- Economy Class air passages are met by the Trust for the initial journey to the place of study, and for the return at the end of the course.
- No allowances are paid for spouses or other family members.
Duration of Scholarship: Duration is normally for a maximum of three years at the discretion of Trustees.
Eligible Countries: Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe
To be taken at (country): United Kingdom (Rhodes University, University of Leeds and University of Reading), Ireland or South Africa
Applications may be made from 1 April, but all original and certified documents must be received by The Beit Trust by 31 August each year.
For more info, click here