The Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships is a coveted postgraduate full scholarship for international students from developing Commonwealth countries for one year’s study at a reputable university in the United Kingdom.
Accepted Fields of Study: Please check website for specific programme of research
• Interested International students should have registered for a PhD at their home country university. Note that the final qualification awarded after a successful completion will be from the candidates home country university, rather than the UK University.
• Note that the 12-month period of study in the UK can be taken at any stage during the PhD study (providing this is justified in the study plan), and can be divided into two or more periods with a period not greater than 12 months elapsing between each award term.
• A Commonwealth Split-site Scholarship is fully funded and will cover full tuition for one year at a reputable UK host university, plus stipend for up to one year in the UK, return airfare, and other allowances. The scholarship does not support the period of study at the home country university.
• However, international candidates who have not yet commenced their home PhD at the time of application will be allowed to spend a maximum of six months in the UK in the first year of their studies.
To apply for a Commonwealth Split-site Scholarship,
• You must be a Commonwealth citizen, refugee, or British protected person
• You must be permanently based in a developing Commonwealth country
• You have to be available and free to commence your academic studies in the United Kingdom by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2016
• Hold, by October 2016, a first degree of upper second class Honours standard (or above); or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification, which will normally be a Master’s degree
Number of Awards: Several
Value of Scholarship: Each Scholarship provides:
• Student concessionary or other approved airfare to the United Kingdom and return on expiry of the Scholarship (the cost of journeys made before final award confirmation will not normally be reimbursed, nor can fares be paid for a Scholar’s dependants)
• Approved tuition and examination fees
• A personal maintenance allowance at the rate of £977 per month (£1,208 per month for those studying at institutions in the London Metropolitan area)
• A grant towards the expenses of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable
• An initial arrival allowance, including visa reimbursement where applicable
• A grant for expenses for approved study travel within the United Kingdom or overseas
Application Deadline: All Split-site Scholarship candidates must submit their application by 19 November 2015
How to Apply
Candidates can apply to study at UK institutions with which the Commission has a part funding agreement.
Agreement to part fund Scholarships is at the discretion of individual institutions.
Applications must be submitted directly to the CSC using the Commission’s Electronic Application System (EAS).
Visit Scholarship Webpage for details